Spain – Barcelona : ACIDH, Catalan Association for Integration and Human Development
It is dedicated to persons who are of limited intelligence. It came into being in the year 1994 on the initiative of a sister, Montserrat Baró, when she saw that there was no service for this group of people, that they were forgotten and marginalised in our society because they were not recognized as being handicapped, nor accepted as normal persons. Their reality is that they have an intellectual deficit that prevents them from attaining abstract reasoning, even though they have many other abilities.
With the help of professionals and families ACIDH was set up; the aim was that these persons would be able to develop all their human potential. It was envisaged as an entity that would be complete, that is to say, it would provide a response to all the needs of people with limited intelligence throughout their life. It was also intended to be integrating so that these people would become fully integrated in society.
- A school for pupils, boys and girls aged from twelve to sixteen, where they can follow primary studies. At present there are 90 pupils, divided into classes of 10.
- There are also evening classes for those who are working. Thirty pupils attend at present.
- There is a meals service provided that is open to the whole of the Association.
- A service for work orientation and integration which prepares young people through studies that are subsidized by the government; they are followed up by professionals until they find work and an employment contract.
- The Association has a Special Work Centre, with a laundry and a catering service, that employs a total of thirty-five young people.
- Five residential centres, where there is the continuous presence of educators.
- There are seven supervised hostels with non-continuous daily follow-up for the persons who are more autonomous. And there are five apartments for couples who receive orientation and support.