Our Response to the Refugee Crisis – some pointers for reflection
In line with our commitment to people who are forced to leave their homeland and listening to Pope Francis’ call to religious to respond to the plight of refugees, we invite each Sister, each community to reflect on this CALL. For each of us there is a challenge and also the grace of our mission. The following are some guidelines for reflection, prayer and perhaps some action.
- What does our heart “say” to the migrants at this time?
- Does their plight change our prayer in any way? “I was a stranger and your welcomed me”.
- What do you think you could do at a personal level?
- Responding to the plight of migrants presents some possibilities – can you identify what some of these might be?
- Is there any way in which you as a community might respond?
- Do you have some items (in the attic!) that might be useful for a voluntary refugee organization (e.g. the GOAL collection…?)
- What do you think is the level of awareness about refugees in your neighbourhood?
- If refugee families lived in your locality what do you think would be the prevailing attitudes/approach?
- Do you see a role for the community in supporting refugee families?
- Is there a way in which we can support those working directly with refugees?
- Do you have any suggestions for JPIC in relation to the present crisis?